Every breakthrough in innovation begins with some brainstorming through multiple ideas either as a group or individually to get better clarity on the idea and how best it could be executed.
But brainstorming is not the easiest task to execute. It comes with a lot of confusion, disagreement, and sometimes unforeseen expenditure.
Hence the need for a mind map. Mind mapping implies a diagrammatic illustration of multiple ideas and every associated task, highlighting their interrelatedness and how best they can be linked up to build a central framework leading to the execution of an ultimate idea.
Developing a mind map can be done using the following easy steps.
• Start with a central idea. It could a word, phrase, or very short sentence that best captures the idea. An instance can be Sustainability in an organization
• Write out the main ideas, topics, or tasks relating to the central idea. As earlier mentioned, sustainability could include Waste, Biomass, Carbon footprint, Alternative energy, etc.
• For each related topic highlighted in step 2 above, continue to add more sub-topics to continue the flow of ideas and form branches of the main ideas. From our previous example on sustainability, this next frame could include waste management, waste classification, waste disposal, etc.
• The flow process should continue, connecting every topic as they relate with each other and the central idea Adopting a mind map helps simplify innovative ideas into executable bits by removing potential mental barriers that creep up in the process and it also ensures that no idea is left out from the framework.
Other benefits include:
• It enables better understanding, memorization, and idea retention
• Creativity is ignited in teams that adopt regular mind mapping in their business routines
• Mind mapping allows for flexibility and no idea is wasted in the process
• Mind maps are perfectly suited to support ideas generation and innovation in any organization
• It increases the probability of you straying far from the norm, exploring unconventional routes, and producing a truly innovative idea.
• Mind mapping also explores the team’s cognitive processes, allowing for effective collaboration, creativity, and innovation in any workplace.
Whether done manually on a paper or using mind mapping software, the same benefits still apply if it is done the right way and the resulting innovative ideas always speak for themselves when executed.