This week has been filled with a lot of talks and pictures, as a result of the ongoing Face App trend. Face App uses Artificial Intelligence to make photos of people to look older or younger. So because of the craze and trending #FaceAppChallenge, we have taken time to read up about Face App. As usual, we want to keep you posted on facts and all that you need to know.
1. There are ongoing talks about data collection. Well, we found out that Face App takes your photos and uploads them in the cloud. Just like any other app, once downloaded, Face App gets access to your gallery – but only uploads the images you select.
2. For those wondering how long they can access your data, the terms of service on the app states – FOREVER!
3. Face App has the right to do whatever it wants to do with your data. (And you don’t get paid for that). The Terms of Service states that,
“You grant Face App a perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, fully-paid, transferable and sub-licensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create,…etc. your User Content.”
Phew! In order words, once you accept the terms, you have no right to question the use of your data. (I guess we should make reading Terms of service a habit).
5. You may be asking how you can delete your data. Unfortunately, you can’t just delete what is stored in someone’s cloud. (It’s not a pencil work).
6. Data files may be stored on your device or the Operating System to uniquely identify your device. They use it to collect, monitor and access your data usage of the app, specifically for each user.
— Stan Ez (@ez_stan) July 18, 2019
7. Although you will be able to access some features as a free user, you are required to create a user login to enjoy the premium features and personalize the App to your taste.
8. Lastly, people are crazy about it. (Unless you live in caves or the mars). So long you have access to the internet, you’d know that the latest app people are hyped on is Face App. They are totally over the moon for it. Are you?
There are increasing concerns about the Face App. Rumours are coming up regarding privacy breach, national security, and consumer protection rights. Some even alleged that the app is used to collect user data for the government of Russia (I presume this is because the app was developed by Russians).
— DomisLive NEWS (@domislivenews) July 18, 2019
Even a US Senate Minority Leader, Chuck Schumer has raised alarm over the viral app. On Wednesday 17th July 2019, he called on the FBI and consumer protection agency, FTC to check the national security and privacy risk posed by the application. Yaroslav Goncharov, Face App’s CEO stated that user data and uploaded images were not being transferred to Russia but instead, processed on servers running in the Google Cloud and Amazon Web Services.
So let’s throw it back a little to some closeup details. Face App was developed two years ago by Wireless Lab, based in the Skolkovo high-tech hub known as Russia’s Silicon Valley. The recent craze about the app follows the newly added ageing filter rampantly used by celebrities on every single social media platform you can think of. It has become the currently most downloaded free app on Google Play, with over 150 million users from around the world.
— Mihir Bhokre (@msbmihir) July 18, 2019
So if you refuse to partake in the #FaceAppChallenge because of worries about your privacy, that’s okay. (After all, it is not good to follow the crowd.) But, there is a high probability that your data is already piled away in a database somewhere.
— Atul Khatri (@one_by_two) July 18, 2019
Hope it doesn’t get to this! Lol
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.