5 startups have emerged finalist of the UK funded Innovate Now Accelerator program in Kenya. The startups were chosen from 30 other startups that applied for the program.
The Innovate Now Accelerator Programme is the first Assistive Technology Innovation Accelerator in Africa. It is also a part of the UKAT2030 program that seeks to support and scale assistive technology solutions for the disabled. Global Disability Hub in Kenya currently champions the program.
Innovate Now aims to scale 60 African startups that provide Assistive Technology within the next 3-years. The program will perform this by offering funding and mentorship to startups.
The 5 finalist startups will go through six-month intensive training where they will get various supports including mentorship from experts and conduct user-centered designs. The startups will also run user-testing through a network of Live Labs, and access to seed funding.
The 5 finalists startups include:
- Vijana Reloaded– The startup that provides various eye solutions like eye testing, fitting, glasses sale, and distribution.
- Hope Tech plus-this startup creates small handheld devices that use sensors to detect obstacles and give feedback to the user through different vibration patterns
- Linccel Technologies– the startup provide electric wheelchairs to aid mobility for the disabled.
- Syna Consultancy- the startup offers a portable commode-like toilet that helps disabled people to access dignified and hygienic toilet.
- Toto SciLTD– It offers an intelligent smart stick that allows users to call for help at the click of a button.
The winner from the six-month intensive training will get a funding of £20,000 (Sh2.6 million).
More on TechGist Africa
- Ethiopia Government Partners Infervision to Build National Intelligence Infrastructure
- Migo secures $20 million Series B Funding to Expand to Brazil
- Nigeria, The UK Government Signs new Broadband Development Plan
- MainOne Submarine Cable Finally Live in Cote’d Ivore
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.