Earlier last week, we shared a gist about the launch of fully made in Africa phones by a Rwandan-based company Mara. This same company has plans to set up a new manufacturing company in South Africa.
The decision to set up the smartphone company was unveiled at the inaugural Africa Investment forum last year by Mara’s CEO, Ashish Thakkar when he announced that his company will invest R1.5 billion in South Africa over the next five years.
The Modern-state-of-art smartphone plant will produce over 1.2 million Mara X and Mara Z phones annually. It will also provide tonnes of employment opportunities for South Africans with 60% being female and the other 40% comprising of the younger generation.
To spur the sales of the phones, Mara will partner with e-commerce platforms like Jumia, Konga, and Amazon to market its phones as well as partner with telecom operators in the country.
The launch of the smartphone manufacturing company will promote the sales of quality and affordable Mara phones in South Africa.
More on TechGIst Africa:
- AICPA and CPA.com Startup Accelerator Calls Accounting Startups for Submission
- Nigerian National Assembly Proposes 9% Tax on Electronic Communication Services
- Helios Tower Raises $364mn on London Stock Exchange
- Telco Operators in Ghana Barred from Expiring Voice & Data Bundles
- Lidya, Nigerian SME Lending Platform Expands to Europe
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.