Microsoft has made a grand return into the smartphone market through the launch of its Foldable Surface Duo. The Tech Giant unveiled the device at Microsoft’s Surface Event in New York City.
The Surface Duo device, unlike its predecessors, runs on Android and has access to the Google PlayStore. This is a huge difference considering that previous Microsoft Phones ran on Microsoft’s Windows Operating System.
Mr Panos Panay, Microsoft’s Chief Product Officer says Microsoft partnered Google to unveil new Android features that make the Duo stand out.
In his words; “We’re partnering with Google to bring together the absolute best of Android into one product.”
The device will officially launch in 2020.
Microsoft’s Surface Duo comes with a rounded surface, and a dual 5.6-inch display attached by a hinge that enables 360-degree rotation. The DUO also comes with a Snapdragon 855 processor.
In a folded mode, the display size is 8-inches. The device comes with a Surface Pen and a keyboard that appears on one of the dual screens. Apps for the device will be developed before its launch in 2020.
Microsoft is yet to declare if the device is a smartphone or a tablet but we are in anticipation of a new device from Microsoft after a long retreat.
More on TechGist Africa:
- YouTube Music to replace Google Play Music on Android 10
- Call for Submission: UNICEF Innovation Fund set to Invest US$100k In Startups
- See how Edupoint’s Pair-to-Pair Learning Model is revolutionizing Africa’s Education System
- Estonia-based TAI+ Launches New App to Link Kenya truckers and Cargo shippers
- Egypt-based Health & Beauty Startup Glamera Secures $250k
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.