Match Group, an American Internet company that owns and operates several online dating sites like Tinder, and Match.com has acquired Harmonica. Harmonica is a Cairo-based dating app that focuses on the Muslim demographic. The acquisition will allow Match Group to retain 12 full-time employees from Harmonica. This team will tend to the global Muslim demography.
Harmonica was founded in 2017 by Sameh Saleh, Tamer Saleh, Aly Khaled, and Shaymaa Ali. The platform has facilitated lots of marriages in Egypt since inception.
This new acquisition aligns with Match Group’s April 2019 reform of its international leadership team, which will allow them to tap into the ready market opportunities for products in Asia. This markets also includes predominantly Muslim countries.
Match Group will allow Harmonica’s headquarters to remain in Cairo, Egypt. Sameh Saleh will also retain his position as the CEO of Harmonica. This venture is Match Group’s first MENA office.
According to Sameh Saleh, CEO of Harmonica, the company was founded to help their sisters, cousins, and friends find a perfect partner. He said they have facilitated hundreds of marriages just in Egypt, and strongly believe that Match Group’s vast experience will help them harness new opportunities.
This acquisition by Match Group has given Harmonica’s early investors Flat6Labs and 500 Startups, the opportunity to grasp full exit on their investments in Harmonica.
More on TechGist Africa:
- Vivendi Partners Rwanda Development Board to develop Kigali Cultural village
- Nigerian-based EZ Farming secures $150,000 from 500 Startups Accelerator Program
- Meet the Fifteen Winners of Mastercard Foundation Social Venture Challenge
- AIIM Secures $320 Million to Invest in Power, Transport & Energy Africa
- Econet Shuts-down Kwesé TV, Kwesé Sports, and Kwesé Play