MTN Group Limited, is working together with Apple Inc. to provide eSIM for its users, says MyBroadband. eSIM is an embedded SIM which is built into a device and needs to be enabled by a mobile network to function.
Recall that our review on the latest iPhones, the phone feature eSIM technology – with a dual-SIM set-up consisting of a single physical SIM and one eSIM.
“MTN is working with Apple to introduce this feature – eSIM – to its customers in the future,” said MTN. This information came when MyBroadband asked the network provider on their plans for eSims.
Not only MTN is working on the eSim. African mobile communications company, Vodacom has also stated that they are working on on eSIM support.
According to the company, “Vodacom is currently developing support for eSIM in conjunction with the various device manufacturers and will launch commercial support at the appropriate time,”
Vodacom stated in October 2017, following the launch of the Apple Watch Series 3 Cellular, that it would be ready to support eSIM technology if it launched in South Africa. Rain Mobile has stated that it is also looking at eSIM support, and will engage with Apple to support the technology in new iPhones.
More Tech Stories:
- IBM Partners Tshimologong Precinct to Launch SA Acceleration Bootcamp
- Three SA Start-ups To Participate in The Disruption Agenda
- Early Stage, Advanced Start-ups Win Big at 2018 AgriHack Pitch
- 2018 Apple Review: What You Have Missed at Steve Jobs Theater
- Nigerian, Ghanaian Start-up Selected for 2018 Google’s Developer Launchpad Studio
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.