As part of the deal, Ericsson will supply 5G products and solutions from its Radio Access Network (RAN), transport and core services for the commercialization that will take place in 2020.
Ericsson had earlier signed a three-year deal to modernize MTN South Africa’s existing LTE and legacy radio access networks. MTN is using 5G New Radios (5G NR), basebands and MINI-LINK microwave transmission products from Ericsson’s Radio System and Cloud Core network to enhance its network service and user experience of customers.
MTN plans to commercialize 5G technology between 2020 and 2022. It aims to enhance Mobile Broadband, fixed wireless access and introduce the Internet of Things (IoT) into the country. All these and more will be introduced as part of its digital transformation agenda in South Africa.
More on TechGist Africa
- MTN Invites Developers to Apply for its 2019 MoMo Hackathon
- Huawei and MTN Runs 5G C-Band Trials at AfricaCom
- Tanzania Telecommunication Corporation Extends Broadband Connectivity to Burundi
- Flutterwave, Carbon, 54gene and others Win 2019 AppsAfrica Innovation Awards
- OPay Withdraws Bus-Hailing Operations to Re-strategize Business Model in Lagos
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.